Medicalization refers to the creation of a medical category for a human condition not previously considered to be a condition requiring medical treatment.
Medicalization and BoyLovers
When The German psychiatrist Richard von Krafft-Ebing first introduced the concept of pedophilia in his Psychopathia Sexualis: eine Klinisch-Forensische Studie (Sexual Psychopathy: A Clinical-Forensic Study) in the early 20th century, pederastic (and other adult-child sexual activities) first became "medicalized," in other words, subject to medical diagnosis and treatment.
Von Krafft-Ebing based the theories he expressed in his book on very little actual clinical data - a handful of reported "clinical treatments" by other psychiatrists of a few (so-called) "sexually deranged persons". He "invented" the concept of what he called "paedophilia erotica", which was later shortened in English to "paedophilia" (American spelling: pedophilia).
Had "pedophilia" not become medicalized, then "pedophilia" would not be "pathological," and BoyLovers would not be "sick".
If only Richard von Krafft-Ebing had never been born, perhaps the world today would be a different (and far better!) place...
- Psychopathia Sexualis
- Psychopathia Sexualis Ch. V part 6 by 19th-century psychiatrist Richard von Krafft-Ebing
- The DSM: Psychiatry's Deadliest Scam (film)
- Psychiatry: An Industry of Death (film)
- Whores of the Court (book)
- child sexual abuse
- A Problem in Greek Ethics
- Wikipedia article on Psychobabble
- Medicalization at Wikipedia.
- Psychopathia Sexualis: eine Klinisch-Forensische Studie (Sexual Psychopathy: A Clinical-Forensic Study), available at archive.org
- Extract of the above NOTE:site is now defunct, but I am searching for another source.