APA decision (2013)
On October 31, 2013, the American Psychiatric Association and the American Psychological Association issued statements due to pressure put on them from a right wing Christian news site and a number of smaller, right-wing blogs, the APA has decided to change "sexual orientation" to "sexual interest" and deny that they intended the entry in DSM-5 (The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition) to read sexual orientation indicating that they don't consider it a variant of normal sexuality but rather a paraphilia which can be changed. The treatment of paraphilias and related disorders often includes: psychotherapy, self-help groups, and pharmacotherapy (including anti-androgen hormone therapy (Depo Provera) as well as the use of psychostimulants both of which are referred to as "chemical castration" . In this reversal of position on pedophilia being a sexual orientation, both APA's took the opportunity to reaffirm their commitment to continue to view individuals attracted to minors as a criminal class meriting punishment rather than treatment for their adjustment issues or depression related to sexual orientation.
In his blog "take a risk nz" Peter Hoo says "... the recent move by the APA as a seeking to cooperate with two groups which most dislike the idea of a minor attracted person being seen as having a sexual orientation. The first group are the religious right – they fear the use of this term ‘sexual orientation’ by the minor-attracted individual is a step towards normalization and social acceptance, and point to the homosexual history to support their predictions; the second group is the LGBT voice (the modern day version of the homosexual lobby, its post-emancipatory and post-legal change lobby), whose most recent concerns are the issues of marriage and adoption – they are convinced the term sexual orientation ought to apply only to them and no one else; there is a concern lest the desire that inhabits the world of the minor-attracted individual be linked back to them."
Text to be changed
"However, if they report an absence of feelings of guilt, shame, or anxiety about these impulses and are not functionally limited by their paraphilic impulses (according to self-report, objective assessment, or both), and their self-reported and legally recorded histories indicate that they have never acted on their impulses, then these individuals have a pedophilic sexual orientation but not pedophilic disorder."
The following are excerpts from both APA's statements:
APA stands firmly behind efforts to criminally prosecute those who sexually abuse and exploit children and adolescents. We also support continued efforts to develop treatments for those with pedophilic disorder with the goal of preventing future acts of abuse."
"The American Psychological Association maintains that pedophilia is a mental disorder; that sex between adults and children is always wrong; and that acting on pedophilic impulses is and should be a criminal act." 
Critics of this decision point out that it was not made based on science, research, and clinical experience but on social/political pressure. That scientists and researchers have been moving towards a consensus in recent years that pedophilia is indeed a sexual orientation. The mental health advocacy group "B4U-ACT" indicated that they see the decision and statements by both APAs as a significant barrier to treatment for all minor attracted people.
Early in November 2013 as a response to both APA's statements, a tumblr website was setup by person or persons unknown called, Fight Back. The page contained two graphic images (see below) and instructions that their viewers should help the images "go viral".
It’s time to fight back. Help make these go viral.
Both APAs have just released press releases in response to right wing fundamentalist complaints that the new DSM 5 classifies pedophilia as a sexual orientation. The press releases ignore the mental health of people with the diagnosis and instead advocate their prosecution—an interesting approach for so-called mental health organizations. The press releases can be found at:
Source of the stats above:
About 11,000 children are born in the U.S. every day.
Up to 3% of males are preferentially attracted to younger children, according to DSM 5.
An internet study found 85% of people attracted to children remember first having these feelings when under age 18, and 45% considered suicide (http://b4uact.org/science/survey/01.htm).
- Mistakes can have a very high price.
- APA Statement on DSM -5 Text Error October 31, 2013 http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/13-67-DSM-Correction-103113.pdf
- Statement of the American Psychological Association Regarding Pedophilia and the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) October 31, 2013 http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2013/10/pedophilia-mental.aspx
- Fight Back Website http://fightback385.tumblr.com/
- Heretic TOC – A plague on both your APA houses – Tom discusses the recent APA decision to give into right wing pressure and remove "Sexual Orientation" from the entry on pedophilia from the DSM-5. (UK)
- APA to correct manual: Pedophilia is not a ‘sexual orientation’ – Due to pressure from right wing Christian news site and a number of smaller, right-wing blogs, the APA has decided to change "sexual orientation" to "sexual interest" and deny that they intended the entry in DSM-5 to read sexual orientation. (The Washington Times,US)
- Whopping Pedophilia 'Sexual Orientation' Error Sparks Right-Wing Freakout - A mainstream Christian news site and a number of smaller, right-wing blogs published stories this week alleging that the American Psychiatric Association, or APA, had classified pedophilia as a sexual orientation. ( The Huffington Post)
- Mistakes can have a very high price. – Peter Hooper's blog: "Take a Risk NZ" – analyses the recent APA decission
- Fight Back – It’s time to fight back. Help make these go viral. Both APAs have just released press releases in response to right wing fundamentalist complaints that the new DSM 5 classifies pedophilia as a sexual orientation. The press releases ignore the mental health of people with the diagnosis and instead advocate their prosecution—an interesting approach for so-called mental health organizations.