List of incidents of vigilantism against sex offenders
This is a list of incidents of vigilante action against sex offenders.
- In 2006, Stephen A. Marshall shot to death Joseph L. Gray, 57, of Milo, Maine, and William Elliott, 24, of Corinth, Maine, both of whom he had found on the state's sex offender Web site. Gray's name was posted on the site because he had moved to Maine after a Massachusetts conviction for sexual assault on a child under 14. Elliott had been convicted four years earlier of having sex with a girlfriend who was only days away from her 16th birthday.
- On 26 August 2005, Michael Anthony Mullen shot to death Hank Eisses, 49, and Victor Vasquez, 68. Both victims were Level III sex offenders, considered the most likely to commit similar crimes again. Mullen told police that he was outraged by the recent case of Joseph Edward Duncan III, a convicted sexual offender being held in Idaho. Mullen told the police that he searched the Whatcom County sheriff's sex offender Web site. The site included addresses for the convicted offenders, with the number of the street address partly withheld. Mullen focused on the home of Hank Eisses, who lived with the two other sex offenders. Mullen went to the Eisses house posing as a federal agent, wearing a black ball cap with the F.B.I. insignia and a dark blue jump suit.
- In 2012, Patrick Drum shot to death Gary Blanton, who had pled guilty to raping a 17-year-old deaf/mute girl, and Jerry Ray, who had been found guilty of having stripped naked, carrying the 7 and 4-year-old grandchildren of his friends (the boys Drum said he walked across the street and took on fishing trips) into a bedroom, and molesting them.
- In 2011, John Joseph Huffmaster went across the street to the home of a 74-year-old neighbor, who had a conviction for sexually abusing a 11-year-old girl in 1991, under the guise of asking to borrow some sugar. He attacked him with a hammer, leaving him with multiple skull and facial fractures.
- In 2007, Melissa Chandler was killed by a fire that was set by Robert "Bobby" Bell and Gary Lamar Sellers after her husband, Timothy Carl Chandler, was arrested on child porn charges.