BoyWiki:Agora/7 April 2014
Problem with editing sections of Agora
I accessed Agora from my "watchlist".
The page appeared with "Add a Message" at the top. Then in the box below, it read:
To add a new message in the current page of the day, ' always use the link "Add a Message" located
immediately above this guide. If the page does not already exist, it will be automatically created,
and your text will be added as the first message.
To respond to an existing message, click on the "edit" link to the right of the title of each section.
There is no "edit" link visible to me "to the right of the title of each section".
Maybe a bug?
- If you don't see the "edit" next to the title of your message (when you are logged in) then my guess is that it may have something to do with how you have your browser set up. You told me before that you also don't see the buttons on the edit page for making adding the wikicode for Bold, Italic, Internal link, External link, ect... Normally when you add ==section== there will appear an edit link to the right of the section so you can edit only that section. --Etenne (talk) 12:11, 7 April 2014 (CEST)
- I'm guessing, but BW logs me out at unexpected intervals. It is possible that I was automatically "logged out" without my realizing it, and then - of course - no "Edit" was visible.
- Being (seemingly randomly) "logged out" by the software is a bit disconcerting when in the middle of a long edit, and then attempting to preview the edit. That has happened to me once or twice. Not Nice...
Categories as a means of classifying information into a usable format
I have been reading up on the various types of indexes which are possible to create, on site usability, on the "user friendliness" of webpages, etc. After reading a couple of dozen pages on various sites and several long .PDF files dealing with the above, I am beginning to see the problem with how BoyWiki is organized.
To explain in detail what I have discovered would be very time-consuming. To give the admin links to all the materials I have read would be unrealistic, as I doubt they would have time to read about the subjects in great detail.
What should I do with my now in-depth understanding of the topics, and the new information I have learned?
(I had wanted to add this to a previous section I had created, but the "Edit this section" link was not available.)
- I am not sure how to generate such a list maybe Leucosticte will know. --Etenne (talk) 12:57, 7 April 2014 (CEST)
I have been giving some thought to this and until I can get namespace Draft set up all project pages should be added to [[Category:Project pages]] and moved to [[BoyWiki:pagename]] which is the only one that creates a project page right now.
- Thank you. Oh, a "tip" like this might be good to add to an "editors tips" page, don't you think? User4 (talk) 14:02, 7 April 2014 (CEST)
You would cause me a much less anxiety if you concentrated on one major project at a time ie. either reorganize Category:Encyclopedia or make our help pages useable. Given that you are still learning wiki... I would suggest concentrating on the help pages for now and once that is done, we can discuss reorganizing Category:Encyclopedia. --Etenne (talk) 13:57, 7 April 2014 (CEST)
- I will be able to finish the "Editor's help page" as soon as I understand how to correctly edit BW pages. Then my accumulated knowledge will be added to that "Help" page. My "knowledge" is still in the "accumulating" stage at the moment.
- RE: reorganizing Category:Encyclopedia
- There are so many pages involved that we really need a "bot" to do it. Manually changing each page is a tedious, mundane, and repetitive task - one which is better done by using an automated process. See, that's why we have computers. To make life easier... User4 (talk) 14:08, 7 April 2014 (CEST)