Ellos Volvieron (film)
|Ellos Volvieron (film)|
Ellos Volvieron (aka They Returned)
|MPAA Rating (USA):||NR|
Ellos Volvieron (retitled in 2015 to The Returned), the sixth film by director Ivan Noel, is a beautifully touching and unnerving story about the unexplained disappearance of three children, two boys and one girl, and their reappearance three days later in a semi-autistic state. Not even the children themselves are able to help anyone understand what happened. No clues or signs are left, other than the fact that, as we discover later, two of them were mutilated.
As the police carry out their investigation, and the town slowly sinks into a deep state of suspiciousness, and a small community of children - classroom colleagues of the missing three - run their own parallel search.
Only one person is a potential suspect: the children’s own classroom teacher, recently arrived from another town. He does not help his case when he attempts to make the school psychologist understand that the children were in fact murdered...
- I have twice sent my new script to professional screenwriting consultants, we are finishing castings, and setting up the technical team now. We plan to shoot in three sessions, between the 15th December 2013 and 30th January 2014, though, as usual, there would be extra scenes and re-shoots well into February I imagine. (9/13)
I mean... The idea to try and raise funds for the next film this way was just a fleeting one at the time, and I did not expect at all to reach half, let alone more than the goal!  (10/13)
Fans have raised $28,984 to help produce this film.
- "...first full cast meeting yesterday, so all on track. (10-4-2013)
- Principle photography on "They Returned" has begun!  (1-5-14)
- Principle shooting occurred in January and February and is now finished. The next step is post production/editing.
- Ivan Noel has scheduled the premiere for "Ellos Volvieron" (They Returned) on September 23, 2014 in La Rural de Jesus Maria, Argentina!
- "Ellos Volvieron" recently won 6 awards at a film festival in Buenos Aires and an independent film distributor has offered a world-wide deal for it! (11-1-14)
Stories from the production
-It took the production a while to find the perfect weather conditions for a muddy soccer scene.
-Lauro, who was a lead in both this film and "Limbo", got to have his first plane ride ever with a local pilot in a small plane. He was already in the air, waving and yelling with glee, as Ivan was on the phone asking his mother for permission (which fortunately was granted).
-At one point, they were shooting a scene in a "moving" vehicle. The car was actually stationary with people standing outside physically shaking it and others moving large branches in such a way as to create the illusion that the car was passing trees, all while focusing on the occupants so that the "special effects" couldn't be directly seen.
-An early major problem, was that the girl who was cast as one of the 3 leads, dropped out of the production at the last minute because she (and her parents) were uncomfortable with the intensity of the role.
-The kids had fun with a remote controlled helicopter that was used for some aerial shots.
- 'Ellos Volvieron' ('The Returned') Trailer. (YouTube)
- They Returned
- Ivan Noel's presentation of his next film project (YouTube)
- NOEL FILMS (YouTube)
- Read the first two pages of the script
- They Returned' Newsletter 2 video (YouTube)
- 100 seconds of moments of the Shoot of 'They Returned (YouTube)
- Newsletter 4 'They Returned'; behind the scenes 2 february 2014 (YouTube)
- Ellos Volvieron (IMDb)
- One Eyed Takes Argentine Suspense Thriller ‘They Returned’ (review in Variety)
- The Returned (2015) (IMDb)
Other Films by Ivan Noel