Lawrence A. Stanley
Lawrence A. Stanley was an American lawyer who specialized in defending men accused of child pornography crimes. He was the lawyer for Knox in United States v. Knox. He ran the girllover Web site and bookstore Alessandra's Smile, which sold publications showing nude girls (but not penetrative sex). He also published the newsletter "Uncommon Desires", devoted to girllove. He was on the Editorial Board of Paidika. Stanley was described by Judith Levine, author of Harmful to Minors, as "the most thorough researcher of child pornography".
Was in prison in Brazil from 2002 to 2008. On his experiences with the Brazilian justice system, see his statement at https://www.newgon.com/wiki/Minimodels_injustice. Currently a fugitive; believed to be in Brazil. Speaks Portuguese.
- "The Hysteria Over Child Pornography and Paedophilia", Paidika, Volume 1, No. 2, 1987. Reprinted as "The Child Pornography Myth", Playboy, September, 1988.
- "A Legal Note: Paidika in Search Warrant", Paidika, Volume 1, No. 4, 1988.
- Book reviews in Paidika.
- "Some Thoughts on the Difference between 'Erotica' and 'Pornography'", NAMBLA Bulletin, vol. 10, no. 3, April 1989.
- "The Child Porn Myth", Cardozo Arts & Entertainment Law Journal, vol. 7, 1989, pp. 295-358, http://www.cardozoaelj.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Stanley_7.2.pdf
- "Down the Slippery Slope - The Crime of Viewing Manga", ComiPress, 2009, http://comipress.com/special/miscellaneous/down-the-slippery-slope-the-crime-of-viewing-manga#_ednref7.
- "The Child Porn Storm: How One Curious Legal Case Caused a Capital Hill Stampede", Washington Post, January 30, 1994, C3.
- The text accompanying Fábio Cabral, Anjos proibidos (Prohibited Angels), New York, Ophelia, 2000, ISBN 1888425172.
- States of Grace. Photographs 1964-1989, photographer Graham Ovenden, text by Lawrence A. Stanley, Amsterdam, Ophelia, 1992.
- RAP: The Lyrics, New York: Penguin, 1992. ISBN 0140147888.
- "The Coming Criminalization of Art" http://www.newsstand.x10.mx/archive2/2343.html "Original location: http://users.rcn.com/kyp/stanley.htm". This was a Web site belonging to Robert B. Chatelle.
- "Art and 'Perversion': Censoring Images of Nude Children", Art Journal, Vol. 50, No. 4, Censorship II (Winter, 1991), pp. 20-27, http://www.jstor.org/stable/777319.
- Regarding Proposed Changes to Article 240b of the Dutch Penal Code. This work was published privately in 1994.
Robert Stacy McCain THE WASHINGTON TIMES July 24, 2002d
An American lawyer who specialized in defending those accused of child pornography is under arrest in Brazil, charged with violating that country’s laws against child exploitation.
Lawrence Allen Stanley, 47, was arrested June 8 after police in Salvador say they found more than 1,000 photographs and more than 100 videos of young girls in swimsuits and underwear. The arrest came days after the Brazilian magazine Epocha reported that Stanley, a fugitive who has lived in Brazil since 1998, had built an international business photographing Brazilian girls and selling their photos through the Internet.
- U.S. vs. Knox, United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 977 F.2d 815 (1992), http://www.leagle.com/decision/19921792977F2d815_11679.xml/U.S.%20v.%20KNOX.
- Alessandra's Smile is archived on archive.org.
- Taken from https://hat4uk.wordpress.com/2013/07/28/the-paedofile-graham-ovenden-isnt-selling-very-well-any-more/, also at htttp://www.nostatusquo.com/ACLU/NudistHallofShame/stanley/stanley2.html, 5/1/2015.