- Sen. Roger Marshall (R-KS) may block a bipartisan effort to fund school lunch programs because he doesn’t like guidance that schools shouldn’t discriminate against LGBTQ students when distributing food and giving financial assistance to disadvantaged students.
(Bil Browning , LGBTQ Nation, June 23, 2022 )
- Texas Republicans voted over the weekend on a party platform that includes explicitly anti-LGBTQ language. The 40-page document adopted at the state party’s first in-person convention since 2018, the Texas Tribune reports, declares homosexuality “an abnormal lifestyle choice,” in a section on “Homosexuality and Gender Issues.”
(John Russell, LGBTQ Nation, June 20, 2022 )
- “I am so tired of having prominent members of our state government create wedge issues that don’t help, that don’t heal us but divide us. And that’s all they do,” Nessel said while speaking at a civil rights conference in Lansing on Wednesday.
(Daniel Villarreal, LGBTQ Nation, June 17, 2022 )
- House Bill 306 is before the Delaware State Legislature. For the 4,500-plus Delawareans who appear on the state Sex Offender Registry the proposed legislation changes the “Restrictions” designation on the front of their driver’s licenses from the current “Y” to “SO.” The bill retains the words “Sex Offender” that already appear on the back of licenses.
(Margaret Hawkins, USA TODAY Network, May 27, 2022 )
- A Republican Congressman has introduced a bill to require schools to get parental consent before any discussions of LGBTQ people can be held at schools.
(Alex Bollinger, LGBTQ Nation, May 6, 2022 )
- At some point between the ’80s and now, leaving children unattended in public became unthinkable. To let children as old as, say, 10 walk by themselves became grounds to investigate parents for neglect.
(Ali Breland, MotherJones, March 28, 2022 )
- The bill is meant to help parents in other states who risk being criminally prosecuted for supporting their children’s access to gender-affirming procedures and other health care.
(Don Thompson, , March 17, 2022 )
- Amid unprecedented attacks, including harassment from state officials, many families are dreading the next knock on the door.
(Sydney Bauer, Huffposst, March 15, 2022 )
- The bill would ban puberty-blocking treatment, hormone therapy, and gender confirmation surgery and make it a felony if parents or doctors provide it. But it would also make it a felony to take your child out of state to get the healthcare recommended by every major medical authority in the country. The sentence would be life in prison and the removal of the children from the home.
( Bil Browning , LGBTQ Nation, March 11, 2022 )
- After more than six hours of debate, the Republican-controlled state legislature passed the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill on Tuesday (8 March), in a 22 to 17 vote. Two Republican state senators joined Democrats in voting against the bill. It will now head to the desk of Florida’s Republican governor Ron DeSantis, who is expected to sign the bill into law.
(Lily Wakefield, Pink News, US, March 8, 2022 )
- People don’t want outsiders reading their private messages —not their physical mail, not their texts, not their DMs, nothing. It’s a clear and obvious point, but one place it doesn’t seem to have reached is the U.S. Senate.
(Joe Mullin, EFF, US, February 3, 2022 )
- Pennsylvania state Rep. Rob Matzie, D-Ambridge plans to introduce legislation within the next few weeks making it difficult for some of the states most vulnerable citizens, aging and ailing convicted sex offenders to enter long-term care facilities.
Staff Writer, BoyWiki, January 16, 2022
- The bill would allow parents to sue teachers for $10,000 "per incident, per individual." The fine would need to be paid by the teacher "from personal resources" and the educator cannot "receive any assistance from individuals or groups" or they'll be fired.
(Bil Browning, LGBTQ Nation, US, February 2, 2022 )
- When a publisher stops printing an old Dr. Seuss book nobody read because it contained harmful racial stereotypes, Fox News and the entire Republican party lose their minds over “cancel culture.”
(Ryan Grenoble, Huffpost, US, January 28, 2022 )
- U.S. Attorney Gretchen C.F. Shappert announced today that the Government of the U.S. Virgin Islands has received a $400,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Justice in support of the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act.
(US Gov., ACSOL, US, October 25, 2021)
- Prosecutors are reportedly considering whether to bring charges against Campbell County Public Library staff over their decision to stock young adult books about sex education and LGBT+ issues.
(Patrick Kelleher, Pink News, US, October 5, 2021)
- In what attorneys believe to be the first in Pennsylvania, an Edwardsville man convicted by a Luzerne County jury of possessing child pornography was sentenced Friday to spend the rest of his life in state prison.
(Ed Lewis, Times Leader , US, August 27, 2021)
- Anthony Wayne Dendy, 44, held on $20,000.00 secure bond for failing to report he had a Facebook account.
( Lauren Souther, FetchYourNews.com, US, July 4, 2021)
- ETOWAH COUNTY, Ala. (WIAT) — A Gadsden man was arrested during a traffic stop last week when authorities discovered he was a registered sex offender and did not meet the identification requirements under Alabama law.... Sex offenders who are residents in Alabama must carry a valid drivers license or identification card issued by the ALEA at all times.
(Peter Curi, CBS 42, US, June 22, 2021)
- In the United States, up to 70 percent of sexual offenses against children are perpetrated by other children, typically a slightly older relative or playmate who offends in the context of ignorance, impulsivity, and convenience, not predation. Many states subject these kids to the same criminal consequences as adults who have been convicted of sex crimes; the most impactful of which can be registration and public notification, which typically lasts for decades or life, depending upon the conviction or adjudication offense.
( Elizabeth Letourneau and Luke Malone, Slate, US, February 1, 2022 )
- If the proposed SORNA regulations are finalized, many registrants will be required to register up to four times a year. In addition, all registrants will be required to reveal all of their remote communication identifiers.
(Staff, ACSOL, US, November 1, 2021 )
Human and Civil Rights Violations
- Fletcher's legal team cited text messages and Facebook posts sent by one of the guards, Garrett Osbon... "the dude I broke his nose is now paralyzed with a broken neck, and they say his face looks like he had been dropped and dragged through concrete, LMAO" he wrote. "It feels good to know that I played a small part in paralyzing a cho, LMAO."
( TooFab Staff, TooFab, US, November 3, 2021 )