Science and technology News
- People don’t want outsiders reading their private messages —not their physical mail, not their texts, not their DMs, nothing. It’s a clear and obvious point, but one place it doesn’t seem to have reached is the U.S. Senate.
(Joe Mullin, EFF, US, February 3, 2022 )
- Apple intends to install software on American iPhones to scan for child abuse imagery, according to people briefed on its plans, raising alarm among security researchers who warn that it could open the door to surveillance of millions of people’s personal devices.
(Madhumita Murgia and Tim Bradshaw, Financial Times, August 5, 2021)
- Apple Backtracks on Child Safety Update Following Criticism Over Privacy Concer
- Apple said Friday it plans to delay its "Expanded Protections for Children" iOS update that was announced last month after the company encountered negative feedback over privacy concerns.
( Abbianca Makoni, Newsweek, US, Sep. 3, 2021)
- Governments planned to misuse CSAM scanning tech even before Apple’s announcement
- Governments were already discussing how to misuse CSAM scanning technology even before Apple announced its plans, say security researchers.The biggest concern raised when Apple said it would scan iPhones for child sexual abuse materials (CSAM) is that there would be spec-creep, with governments insisting the company scan for other types of images, and there now seems good evidence for this …
(Ben Lovejoy, 9 To5 Mac, Us, October 15, 2021)
- A 9-year-old UK boy named Zac Morey nearly lost his sight after contracting “COVID-eye,” an alleged side effect of the coronavirus.
( Ben Cost, New York Post, US, January 5, 2022 )
- Can kids be harmed wearing masks to protect against COVID? No, there is no scientific evidence showing masks cause harm to kids’ health despite baseless claims suggesting otherwise.
(LINDSEY TANNER, , September 16, 2021)
- The state has reported 14,000 pediatric cases in the last seven days, a 57% increase from the previous week.
(Kimberlee Krues, , August 25, 2021)
- More than half of Florida's students are now enrolled in public school districts with mask mandates despite threats of sanctions from the administration of Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, who decreed that only parents can decide whether their children wear masks.
(Valerie Strauss, The Washington Post, August 25, 2021)
Psychology and Sociology News
- Pedophilia is viewed as among the most horrifying social ills. But scientists who study the sexual disorder say it is also among the most misunderstood.
(Alia E. Dastagir, USA TODAY, US, January 10, 2022 )
- On Nov. 8, Old Dominion sociology and criminology professor Allyn Walker gave an interview in which he asserted the need to destigmatize pedophiles by redefining them as “minor-attracted persons” (MAPs). Walker stated, “We have a tendency to want to categorize people with these attractions as evil or morally corrupt,” and that when people “hear the term ‘pedophile,’ they automatically assume that it means a sex offender, and that isn’t true.”
(Ian Oxnevad, New York Post, US, January 1, 2022 )
- An assistant professor at a Virginia university is taking heat for saying it isn’t necessarily immoral for adults to be sexually attracted to children — prompting college officials to put out a statement clarifying the claim.
(Joshua Rhett Miller, NY Post, US, November 15, 2021 )
- School places professor on leave after controversial interview defending 'minor-attracted persons'
- Old Dominion University announced it had put a professor on leave following comments attempting to normalize the phrase "minor-attracted persons."
( Emma Colton , Tyler O'Neil, Fox News, US, November 16, 2021 )
- Old Dominion University places trans professor, 34, on leave after interview defending pedophiles as 'Minor Attracted Persons' and saying they shouldn't be ostracized because 'they can't help their urges'
- A transgender university professor in Virginia has been placed on leave after defending pedophiles as 'Minor Attracted People' and saying they shouldn't be ostracized because they can't help their natural urges.
(Andrea Blanco and Christina Coulter and Jack Newman , Daily Mail, UK, November 16, 2021 )
- Dr. Allyn Walker to step down from ODU after controversial interview defending people attracted to children
- Dr. Allyn Walker, an Old Dominion University assistant professor who came under fire following a controversial interview where they defended non-offending pedophiles, announced Wednesday that they will step down from their position when their contract expires in May 2022.
(Web Staff, WTKR, US, November 24, 2021 )