- New York's highest court says accusations can be considered for registration purposes even when the defendant was acquitted.
(Jacob Sullumy, Reason.com, US, April 30, 2018)
- Federal Courts Examining Constitutionality of Sex Offender Registries - Back before the judicial system became a sprawling monster of inefficiency and inequity, justice was served in America. The punishment fit the crime, and once you got out of prison, ALL of your rights were returned, including gun ownership and voting rights.
(Founder, Overpasses For America, US, April 20, 2018)
- A North Georgia homeless man may go to prison for 18 months because he cannot come up with $250 to take a court-ordered polygraph test.
( Rhonda Cook, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, US, November 9, 2017)
- Two Louisiana elementary school students arrested for child porn over nude Snapchats - Police arrested two Louisiana elementary school students after they allegedly distributed nude photos to classmates using a social media app. The Bonne Ecole Elementary students, a girl and a boy, were booked on charges of distribution of child pornography, according to the Slidell Police Department.
(Tribune Media Wire, FOX 59, US, April 20, 2018)
- ... the young man from Elkhart, Indiana, whose harsh punishment for consensual sex with an underage teenager he wrongly believed was 17 made headlines around the country in 2015, has been arrested for violating his probation. (Lenore Skenazy, reason.com, October 15, 2017)
- A major increase in the number of children sexually attacking other kids has seen more than 3000 young people involved in sex crimes in NSW in the past five years.
(Emily Crane, The Daily Mail, AUS, October 10, 2016)
- An 11-year-old girl in Michigan streaking in front of her brothers was charged with a sex crime.
- A 14-year-old boy in Minnesota was charged with distributing child pornography after sending a photo of his genitals to a female classmate
(LOUISE WREGE, The Herald Palladium, US, October 10, 2016)
- They said that all they were going to do was delete the photos from the phone, so I blindly signed a paper allowing them to access it.' "After being arrested, I was suicidal and hopeless," Austin Yabandith, a 17-year-old from Superior, Wisconsin, recalls. "As of right now, I am just hoping for the best and preparing for the worst."
(Robby Soave, Reason.com, US, Sep. 12, 2016)
- A boy believed to be Britain’s youngest ever convicted rapist abused his younger sister twice when he was just 11, a court heard today.
( Mark Duell, The Daily Mail, UK, Aug. 25, 2016)
- The Alliance for Constitutional Sex Offense Laws (ACSOL) will challenge the passport identifier recently revealed by the U.S. State Department. The challenge is expected to be filed in a federal district court within the next 90 days.
(Staff Writer, ACSOL, US, November 6, 2017)
- A lawsuit challenging a law that requires a marker to be placed in the passports of people convicted of sex offenses against children is premature because the marker provision is not yet in effect, a federal judge said Friday in a ruling dismissing the suit.
(The Associated Press, ABC News, September 23, 2016)
- Advocates for offenders say Megan's Law registries continue to punish them even after they have served their sentence.
(Daniel Walmer, The Lebanon Daily News, June 24, 2016)
- The federal government filed a Motion to Dismiss the IML lawsuit this week. The government’s motion is based upon allegations that the plaintiffs in the case lack standing and that the challenge to the addition of a unique identifier to passports is not yet ripe
(Staff writer, CA RSOL, April 23, 2016)
- A federal judge declined Wednesday to immediately block a law that requires a marker to be placed in the passports of people convicted of sex offenses.
(SUDHIN THANAWALA, Associated Press, April 13, 2016)
- The judge in the case did not make a decision at the end of the hearing. Presumably she will take some time, digest, investigate the law and then issue an order in the very near future. Can take days, can take weeks, unlikely more. ( CA RSOL, US, March 31, 2016)
- We lost the battle, brewing for some eight years in Congress, which will effectively stop those of us, U.S. 'registered sex offenders', from venturing beyond our own countries. The enactment of International Megan's Law is not the end of the war, however, as we are fighting back against this injustice in the courts and, to the extent that we wield any influence, in the media.
(David Kennerly, March 6, 2016)
- A Motion for Preliminary Injunction was filed on February 19 asking the U.S. District Court to stop implementation of International Megan’s Law (formerly HR 515 and now Public Law 114-119). If granted, the motion would temporarily prohibit the federal government from both adding a conspicuous, unique identifier to the passports of registrants and notifying foreign countries of registrants’ plans to travel internationally. ( CA RSOL, US, February 20, 2016)
- A civil rights group for accused and convicted sex offenders is challenging legislation that President Barack Obama signed into law on Monday, which will require the State Department to affix an identifying marker to registered sex offenders’ passports. ( Lauren Walker, Newsweek, US, February 9, 2016)
- President Obama signed HR 515 into law on February 8. The law will require federal agencies to notify destination countries that registered citizens are coming to visit as well as to require the Secretary of State to add a “unique identifier”…
( CA RSOL, US, February 8, 2016)
- The International Megan's Law bill now before Congress/ a systematic effort to erode the foreign travel rights of American “registered sex offenders. (News article, David Kennerly)
- See also: “HOMELAND SECURITY'S” ASSAULT ON TRAVEL and DEAD END: The International Megan's Law's Assault on Everyone's Freedom of Travel
- The International Megan's Law to Prevent Demand for Child Sex Trafficking, also known as the International Megan's Law to Prevent Child Exploitation and Other Sexual Crimes Through Advanced Notification of Traveling Sex Offenders, H.R. 515, is a bill that would require the notification of foreign governments when an American registered as a sex offender of children is going to be traveling to their country.
- Indonesia could "wipe out" paedophilia with its new policy of chemical castration, President Joko Widodo has told the BBC.
(Staff writer, BBC, UK, October 19, 2016)
- The Indonesian president, Joko Widodo, signed a decree on Wednesday authorizing chemical castration for convicted child sex offenders and requiring those released on parole to wear electronic monitoring devices.
(JOE COCHRANE, The New York Times, US, May 25, 2016)
- Even when they serve their time, sex crime offenders in some states are being held years beyond their release date. The civil commitment laws that let jailers deem convicts too dangerous to walk free are facing increased scrutiny, especially in Minnesota, where even juvenile sex offenders grow old behind bars.
(William Brangham, PBS News, US, June 28, 2016)
- Galen works alongside many others in reforming the criminal justice system, but his angle might surprise you. Join him as he shares his crusade for equal justice, which has led him to the courtroom, advocacy, and beyond. This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. (Galen Baughman, TEDxCUNY, January 25, 2016)